MTAA and the ATO
MTAA understands how complex the Australian taxation system is and actively lobbies Government to streamline taxation requirements to benefit members. This includes efforts to remove or reduce Payroll and Income Tax that may be offset by a small increase in the Goods and Services Tax (GST).
The web links below provide information to help members understand and process their tax requirements and obligations including lodging a Business Activity Statement (BAS).
Members can access tax information by clicking on the following links:
- How to pay? (https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Paying-the-ATO/How-to-pay/): Members can pay on line. (See business portal below).
- How much you owe? (https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Paying-the-ATO/How-much-you-owe/): Log onto your business portal to identify how much tax is owed.
- Help with paying? (https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Paying-the-ATO/Help-with-paying/): Arrange a payment plan.
- If you don’t pay? (https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Paying-the-ATO/If-you-don-t-pay/): Interest charged when tax is not paid on time.
The ATO provides a business portal which is a secure online method of completing your tax requirements. The ATO provides a range of tools to help businesses complete their tax requirements. (https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Business-Portal/): To access these tools please click on the ATO web links below:
- Business portal (https://www.ato.gov.au/general/online-services/): The ATO provides a business portal which is a secure online method of completing your tax requirements.
- Lodging your Business Activity Statement (BAS) (https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Business-activity-statements-(BAS)/Lodging-and-paying-your-BAS/): Information on how to lodge and process your BAS.
- Forms and instructions (https://www.ato.gov.au/Forms/?sorttype=SortByTopic&marketsegment=Entire%20Website): Tax forms and instructions can be downloaded.
- Tax rates and codes (https://www.ato.gov.au/Rates/?sorttype=SortByTopic&marketsegment=Entire%20Website): Information on different tax rates can be accessed.
- Calculators and tools (https://www.ato.gov.au/Calculators-and-tools/?sorttype=SortByTopic&marketsegment=Entire%20Website): Calculators and tools provide a means of assessing your tax requirements.
- Print publications (https://www.ato.gov.au/Print-publications/?sorttype=SortByTopic): Provide advice on money owed.
In addition to accessing the information provided in the ATO website, the MTAA recommends that automotive businesses also get advice from financial experts when complying with Government financial and taxation requirements.
For more explanatory notes on the ATO and how it can assist automotive businesses to pay tax please upload the attached PDF file and access the ATO website directly.