MTAA and the ACCC
MTAA is committed to assisting small automotive businesses and is the only automotive peak industry organisation represented on the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s (ACCC) Small Business and Franchising Consultative Committee.
MTAA has many issues concerning unfair and anti-competitive business behavior brought to its attention by its state and territory association members on behalf of their business constituents including price fixing and unfair franchising arrangements to name just some. MTAA analyses these issues and brings nationwide matters to the attention of the ACCC through its networks and as a member on the Small Business and Franchising Consultative Committee.
What is the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC)?
The ACCC is the Australian Government Department that promotes competition and fair trade in the automotive industry (and other markets) to benefit consumers, businesses, and the community. The ACCC have a section on their website devoted to entirely businesses. (https://www.accc.gov.au/business)
MTAA provides the following links to help automotive businesses identify and deal with unfair and anti-competitive business practices that are negatively impacting on their business.
What anti-competitive and unfair issues can the ACCC help the automotive industry with?
- Anti-competitive behavior (https://www.accc.gov.au/business/anti-competitive-behaviour)
- Misuse of market power (https://www.accc.gov.au/business/anti-competitive-behaviour/misuse-of-market-power)
- Unconscionable conduct (https://www.accc.gov.au/business/anti-competitive-behaviour/unconscionable-conduct)
- Franchising arrangements (https://www.accc.gov.au/business/franchising)
- Unfair contract law for small business (https://www.accc.gov.au/business/business-rights-protections/unfair-contract-terms)
- Treating customers fairly (https://www.accc.gov.au/business/treating-customers-fairly)
MTAA acknowledge that this list is not exhaustive when considering day to day business.
For more explanatory notes on the ACCC and the unfair and anti-competitive business practices listed above please download the attached PDF file and refer directly to the ACCC website.